What better way to start fall than with a big pot of chili simmering on the stove? Cold weather makes me think chili. Yum! Chili is an affordable, versatile, easy, one-pot meal. Here's my old stand-by:
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 3 T minced garlic
- (3) 4 oz cans diced green chilies
- 3# ground beef, browned and drained
- 1# kidney beans, soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
- 1# pinto beans, soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
- 1 #10 can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 8 oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 c chili powder
- 1/4 c seasoned salt
- 1/8 c ground cumin
- 1/8 c thyme
- 1/8 c paprika
Heat oil, garlic, onion, and chilies in the bottom of a large stock pot on medium low until onions are soft and translucent. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Simmer on low 4-5 hrs or until thick and beans are soft.
I like mine over macaroni with shredded cheddar, parm, and diced onion- and plenty of corn bread on the side. Papa Cow prefers his with shredded cheddar and lots of Saltines. Bear agrees with her daddy and scoops hers with crackers.
How do you eat your chili?