1.27.2012

Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust

Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust is all it took to put this cake together! Bear asked for a chocolate Tinkerbell cake for her 5th birthday. I used the Rich Chocolate Cake and cream cheese frosting recipes from my ever trusty Good Housekeeping Cook Book.


This was my first layered cake with a column, so I did not have materials and was rather nervous. After waiting until the night before her birthday, at 8 pm, I searched Michaels and Walmart (the stores that weren't already closed) and did not find the column I was envisioning. I grabbed a cheap plastic cup from the cabinet and hot glued a cardboard cake round to the bottom. After frosting the base (9x13), I added forced the cup down into the cake. I piped a basic chocolate butter frosting onto the cup to form a tree trunk before placing the remaining 5" circle cake on top the base. Adding some extra green coloring to the remaining frosting before piping leaves with a large Wilton leaf tip added just the right contrast. Tinkerbell and other fairy figurines and a sprinkling of pastel flowers completed the cake.


It even survived the daunting trip across town to great-gram's apartment where family awaited. Bear was quite pleased.


Looking for more cake decorating inspiration? Check out my past cake posts or head over to
Life As Mom for a birthday cake round-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment